tisdag 16 september 2014

Laphroaig 11yo Single Cask, 46% ABV – ’Hepburns Choice’



A couple of days ago a package with some new samples (finally!) arrived from the nice people at Clydesdale, one of Swedens top importer and seller of whisk(e)y! A big thanks goes out especially to Tina who let’s me in on some of Clydesdales goodies! Yay!

It’s been a while since I tasted a Laphroaig and luckily the package, among other things, contained one! It’s from Stewart Laings new series ’Hepburns Choice’, a single (bourbon?) cask Laphroaig, 151 bottles at 46% ABV… Exciting!

In Sweden this one will be released on the 1st of October so please check it out here!

Nose:
Aah, classic Laphroaig! Vanilla mixed with peat, slightly caramellised fudge, maybe a tad more ”smoke” (rather than peat) than what I usually pick up in Laphroaigs… Still very very mild and soft in some way… a very interesting nose although it’s mildness. I also get something chocolate-ish. We have a touch of salt, if that is something you can nose… and also something quite ”damp”. Quite different indeed… Still, simply a joy to nose this one, which I could probably do forever…  But then I won’t get to taste it which would be a pity, not only for me J


Palate:
Oh yes, definitely more smoke (burnt/ashes) than peat. Very nice! I feared that it would not have any power, due to the somewhat mildness of the nose, but oh how wrong I was! Actually really nice power for being at 46% ABV! Starts of quite salty, for a second or two but fudge and smoke takes over quite fast moving into medium-dry. Actually, holding a sip in my mouth and letting it roll, the most dominant thing on the palate is saltyness which is cool. Kind of barbecue-ish on the aftertaste this time… Warms my chest in a beatuful way…


A big thank you once again to the nice people at Clydesdale! Please follow SamuelWhisky on Facebook here and on twitter here. Thanks for following and see you soon folks!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Obs! Endast bloggmedlemmar kan kommentera.