torsdag 6 mars 2014

Bowmore 10yo 'Devils Cask' 56,9% ABV!

Hey folks! Finally the time has come for me to try the well received and much hyped (?) small batch release Bowmore Devils Cask! I've longed for this moment for quite some time know, the sample has been in my sample-stash for more than a month but there has been some other whiskies to try that have gotten in the way and I simply did not want to rush it with this one since I've heard it's a beauty. 

A big thanks to Håkan for being very generous and just sending me a sample for free! Thanks! 

Okay, as far as I've heard this has been entirely matured in first fill sherry casks for ten whole years and then bottled at cask strength. Whether it's european oak or american oak I don't really know. What I do know is that this whisky has been giving of wonderful scents ever since I poured a dram in the glass to shoot the photos. Let me tell you, absolutely wonderful things on the nose here!

Nose
Oh yeah! Just having the glass quite far from my nose I get really dark raw-sugar notes, there is something quite orange-y in there too, mixed together with the classic sherry stuff such as dried figs, even a bit chocolate-y, something really far away even reminding me of mint chocolate... I'd say the peat is really well hidden in there... Mmm, this is deep stuff friends! All of these things are the foundation of the whisky and on top of that layer we have really really high register notes of leather-something and also citrus. Ok, let's see what's on the palate 

Isn't that a beautiful color?!

Palate:
Ooooooh! Starts off strong but not too strong, mainly peat and some very intense sweet/citric notes in the very fast first phase of the whisky. This is brutal but friendly. Moving fast from the very tip of my tounge back into my mouth. Then comes the dried figs, dark raisins, some orange-y stuff, it get's quite dry and then... something reminding me of fireworks ashes or gunpowder (not that I've ever eaten it but you know...) and then a touch of violet (flowery-ish) candy. Now that I take another sniff and nose the glass again that violet stuff is on the nose too, hmm... 

Anyway, this was a very interesting experience and as I've said some times before, the balance or interplay between the sherry and the peat is just great, and I'd actually say that the main focus here is brutal sherry-influence and then comes the peat. Slainthé and see you soon!

P.S please like my FB-page for SamuelWhisky here!





Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Obs! Endast bloggmedlemmar kan kommentera.